Friday 5 September 2014

Sports Day

          Here you can see the different houses Eland, Impala, Cheetah and Kudu

Then the next highlight was the annual Sports Day, where the kids were competing against each other in all kinds of Athletic disciplines in the Stadium of Harare(high-jump, long-jump, discus, shotput, ball throwing, War of Tag and a lot of Running). It was very clear that all of us had immense fun. 




I was busy with measuring all the kids to check their Body-Mass-Index and taking pictures of them for their sponsors(With 390 kids there is a lot of paperwork and organisational detail to do) and in my free time I was admiring the runners: The speed of all these kids, who are younger than me, running on their barefeet is incredible. Even though they only beat Usain Bolt on paper, some of them could be the next Usain Bolt. Later I also got to run the 800m run for everyone. It was so much fun to run together with the kids.


I should probably also tell, how 299 kids got to the Stadium: The drive there in three buses was already really exciting, but nothing in comparison to the drive back: We were 299 kids + some of the staff squeezing into two buses each meant for 70 passengers and I haven't even mentioned the old motor of the bus or the tables and chairs on top of the buses. I can tell you, that was one of the most exciting bus rides, I've ever had in my life!
The bus drive - and that was only the one to the Stadium.

No comments:

Post a Comment