Thursday 18 September 2014

Yummy, Yummy

You now know so much about my life, but somehow we have missed the one thing that is absolutely needed in life: chocolate ;)

Well, I can admit that I have long-lasting relationship with chocolate, but as this is a rather warm country even in Winter (Summer is starting now and the later there will be autumn and spring - and I am not joking) I haven't only been living on chocolate =P

First you should probably know what a local eats and that's something I know by heart after after doing so many health cards:
In the morning a big chunk of white bread (Imagine a loaf of bread and part it into four pieces-> that's a slice) and if there is sugar very sweet tea. Some of the better off get jam or peanut butter on their breads.
Then lunch, which luckily every Dzikwa child has now a right to, is always sadza (more on that later) with some salty/oily vegetables(I think it is Mangold) and a meaty relish. Than in the evening there is again sadza with something and on Sunday's they even have rice.
This doesn't sound too bad and I don't really mind eating that minus the meat every day, however imagine if you have been eating that for your whole life! And then imagine you have a stomach, which can't take heavy things, such as sadza. We are so lucky to be able to eat every day a different meal.

So Sadza, that's kind of a maize porridge, made of Mieli-Meal that you cook with boiling water and that you have to stir like crazy. One evening, I actually did make some sadza myself and I now know that I will first have to visit the gym for a year to get that feat accomplished. By the way, Zimbabweans are also heat resistant - no oven holder for them please.

I am a bit more lucky and eat here also other stuff. So if I live with them at the Shelter, then I have either glutenfree bread,yogurth or porridge for breakfast. I also have already baked pancakes and a rice porridge for my whole house(approximately 16 people). Since I have been hearing questions for more porridge and pancakes, I think they all enjoyed it. Then lunch I eat at the Center with the children, however my meal consists only of sadza and veggies, a very nice combination in my opinion and why would I really need meat? In the evening, the volunteers from Finland usually cook something with vegetables, rice, and tomato sauce + tomato sauce Zimbabwean (That's how the locals call Ketchup). That's very good for me, as I learn how to cook with little means
Oh, and one of the best things in Zimbabwe otherwise are the Avocados-> The size of their stones are usually the size of our Avocado and then the ripeness, mmmmh.
Me and my beloved Sadza with Veggies



No comments:

Post a Comment