Friday 17 October 2014

Time to tell more

Any reason is a good reason to celebrate in Zimbabwe. That's why I got the chance to see a very high-strung event (the annual school prize giving ceremony of DZH2) with red carpets, white tents, beautiful dresses and a feast for the honour guests(somehow I was included in that, even though I was there in khakis and t-shirt, because I had totally forgotten about it). That meant not only that I was totally under-dressed, but also that I was late and missed the first three hours, however I was told that nothing really happened and everybdoy was just settling in. 

When we came, the party was in full swing and the students where receiving prizes followed by loud and energetic cheering by family, students and teachers. Definitely more enthusiastic than the polite clapping you would hear in Germany in the same situation. Some of the parents even came out and started dancing. The reasons for the prizes where rather interesting as besides there being for every subject including such as Fashion and Fabrics in every year a least one student being awarded, there were also best time keeper, head of Sport's teams and Outgoing Junior MP. I guess there were more reasons to praize someone, but somehow I didn't catch them, since there was so much going on. 

After the students the teachers received baskets of fruits as a sign of appreciation. And then finally there was a feast of chicken, rice and vegetables, but as that was my second day without appetite(I was feeling rather ill at that time) I only enjoyed a Lemonade and the Conversation, which was in a whispering tone. Especially surprising if one considers the volume in the previous part of the day.

Anyway most important was that seven of our approximately 30 DZH2 students received altogether 13 prizes. Well done Quindon, Christabel, Tawanda, Gibson, Samantha, Tonderai and Delight :)



No comments:

Post a Comment