Sunday 19 October 2014

What is common to washing powder, frogs and sun burns?

Yes, it is a Zimbabwean swimming pool:

On Sunday I went swimming - finally some cold during this warm season.  We took two Kombis  to get to the McDonalds Swimming Pool (Yes, that actually is its name, even though there are no McDonalds in Harare, but only one KFC, which was in the newspapers lately titled as a big sign of hope for Zimbabwe). It is actually a really nice place and the pool does look relatively clean. (Minus the toilets which don't have any water). Plus it has a really nice lawn with flowers around it. Yes and now consider the fact that still most Zimbabweans don't know how to swim, since this is too expensive and open waters always bear the danger of hosting some lovely crocodiles. 

Anyway we spent a lovely day there, I finally got to do my favourite sport and the other three volunteers from Finland enjoyed the sun. We were especially lucky, because this swimming pool has the lovely tradition of closing from 1 to 2 o'clock for lunch break and so everybody has to leave, but since Sara and Jenni already had experienced this, we could barter with the manager to stay through the break, if we didn't go swimming. So then we had some quiet before the really loud Zimbabwean youngsters came and started to enjoy their time there. 


At a kiosk we bought our lunch additional to the self-baked banana loaf and the apples we brought along. The kiosk itself was rather funny, since among Chips, Coke and Freeze, kind of like frozen flavoured water, they also sold washing powder and that was that. 

Now I have to still mention the incident, which kind of stopped me from swimming again in the afternoon, because after I had swam a stroke and came up above the water and opened my eyes... there was a dead frog lying on his back less than half a meter in front of my eyes. I admit, I quickly jumped to the side, while I was hearing some Boys laughing very hard - probably it was their prank.


This memory stayed plus a really massive sun burn that had the colour of terracotta according to Seppo and stopped me from sitting on a chair without wincing or sleeping for three nights. But I think the experience was worth it and we might even get a few shoes donated to Dzikwa by an Indian shoemaker, who we met at the swimming pool.


No comments:

Post a Comment